With perfect weather on Sunday, November 9, bicycle, bus, and skateboard riders were out in abundance to celebrate “A Ride in Hyde Park,” the theme of the 38th Annual Historic Hyde Homes Tour.
The tour, which featured properties located north of 45th Street, has been described as one of the best tours on record. Some houses were large while others were cottages. A few were traditional while one was very open and contemporary. Several had outstanding outdoor living spaces and native gardens. Several were preserved from demolition and one was saved twice. All had special stories behind them and represented the unique personalities of the owners.
Kudos go to the many individuals who collectively made this tour enjoyable, educational and successful. Those include:
- Homeowners: Chad & Kori Crow, Barbara Mahler & Pete van Metre, Denise Mansfield & Donald Kokas, Andy Hinman & Rebecca Campbell, Toti & Kelly Larson, and Vernon & Pam Whittington
- House Selection Committee: Joe Bedell, I. Jay Aarons, Peter Maxson, Ellie Hanlon, and Debbie Wallenstein
- House Captains: Debbie Wallenstein & Travis Turner, Cynthia & David Lyon, Ellie Hanlon, Kevin Heyburn, and I. Jay Aarons
- Tour booklet: Lorre Weidlich, Pam Whittington, Amie & Tim Vetscher, Joan Burnham, David Conner, Katie Vignery, Peter Maxson, Lloyd Cates, and Ann Graham
- Photography: Liz Williams, Chad Crow, and Andy Hinman
- Marketing: Michael Crider, Cathy Yang, Kate Van Winkle, Cecil Pennington, and David Conner
- Sponsorships: Suzanne Pringle, Kuper Sotheby’s International Realty, Lin Team, The Kinney Company Real Estate, and Carolyn Grimes, Coldwell Banker United Realtors
- Ticket Sales: Denise Girard, Lisa Harris, and Gail Reese
- Neighborhood Partners: NeWorlDeli, Austin State Hospital, Texas Blooms, Office Max at the Triangle, Best Banner Sign Graphics, Trinity Methodist Church, Texas Bike Tours, Bikes on Bikes, and Griffin School
- Volunteers: John Williams and all of the many, many docents who helped to make the tour wonderful.
Planning for the 2015 tour has already begun. We want to make the tour continue our traditions and improve with your help. Your recommendations and suggestions are very welcome, and we will be reaching out to you soon.
Chair, 2014 Hyde Park Homes Tour