Hyde Park Historical Time Line
(1840 – 2002)
April 20, 1840 – 369 Acres patented to Thomas Gray 1850 Conveyed to Joseph Lee for homestead 1857 State Insane Asylum founded. 1872 Sold 206.25 acres to investors
June 2, 1885 - 85 Acres conveyed to Capital State Fair Association 1890 Property sold to Wm. B. Clarke, U. B. Buck, & Geo. Rockwell of Kansas City & A. W. Terrell of Travis Co. May 13 1890 206.25 Acres sold to Monroe Shipe for $70,000.00 of Abilene, Kansas. Dec. 8 1890 Shipe conveyed 206.25 acres to MKT Land and Town Co. for $180,000.00.
Jan. 3, 1891 – Hyde Park Addition filed at Travis County.
Feb. 26, 1891 4pm - First electric streetcar rolled on Congress Ave. tracks. First Hyde Park School built by Monroe Shipe. 1892 Hyde Park No. 2 platted. Shipe’s house built. Elisabet Ney Studio built. 59 lots sold to 16 owners – all but 2 were corner lots.
1894 – Hyde Park Baptist Church founded
May 1895 - Moonlight Tower turned on.
1896 – 259 lots sold – corner lots the majority and lots near F and 40th. 1st Hyde Park Baptist Church built (now Hyde Park Presbyterian Church) 1904 Hyde Park advertised to the middle class.
1910 – Avenue B Grocery first operated by Marshall L. Johnson.
1911 – Baker School built at present location.
1913 – Sewer service installed.
1918 – Oakland Square Addition platted. (38th to 38 1/2 St. west of Speedway)
1922 – Shadow Lawn Platted.
1924 – Monroe Shipe died.
1924-35 – Building Boom.
1928 – Shipe Park dedicated. (Log clubhouse and pools predate 1941) Previously called Hyde Park Playground.
1929 – Fire Station Built, Bluebonnet Tourist Camp built. (Renamed Blue Bonnet Court, 1939)
July 1930 – Charlie Fariss sat in tree @ 41st & Guadalupe
Aug.15 1930 – Guadalupe paved. Substation built at 38th & Grooms
1931 – Austin’s first zoning ordinance
1941 – Hyde Park’s 50th birthday. Streetcar system dismantled.
Dec. 21, 1946 – Jane Shipe and Clotilda Ida Mansbendel release deed restrictions.
1950’s – Many homes become rental properties. UT ends policy requiring students to live on campus.
1960’s – City adopts policy in favor of upzoning Hyde park properties for apartments. Many apartments built. UT growth.
1972 – Elisabet Ney Museum listed in National Register
Fall 1974 – Hyde Park Neighborhood Association formed. Austin Historic Landmark’s Commission established
1976 – Moonlight Tower listed in National Register
1979 – Hyde Park Baptist Church property upzoned and new sanctuary built
Late 1970’s – City reverses policy of rezoning for apartments
1983 – Hyde Park Compatibility Standards Developed
1984 – Inner City Ordinance in effect
1985 – Hyde Park Plan Completed New Zoning Ordinance adopted with Compatibility Standards
1986 – Hyde Park National Register Nomination project initiated
August 1990 – Hyde Park and Shadow Lawn National Register Districts approved by Department of the Interior. (273 contributing structures & 237 noncontributing structures) HPBC NCCD adopted. HPNA starts NCCD work.
June 1991 – Hyde Park Life on the Avenues Exhibit at Ney Museum. Hyde Park . . . the first 50 years published Hyde Park 5K Run Hyde Park Centennial Celebration Hyde Park NCCD work continues with owner surveys and block surveys.
August 1991 – Texas Neighborhood Conservation Fund receives grant from National Trust for Historic preservation. HPNA & TNCF bring Stanland & Associates to Austin for Conservation District Workshop. NCCD Publishes Issues Draft.
Jan. 1992 – NCCD Publishes Vision Statement Texas MHMR Board approves Site Plan for major development at 38th St. PUD site.
June 1992 – NCCD Data Base Complete NCCD Land Use Complete
Jan 1993 – Cellular Transmission tower proposed in Hyde Park April HPNA adopts Guadalupe Corridor Plan
1994 – New transmission tower ordinance adopted. Cellular One equipment located atop Austin State Hospital building. Hyde Park and NUNA request rollback for Speedway. April HPNA adopts Infrastructure Plan. August, Hyde Park Markeptlace opens.
1995 – HPNA seeks funding to complete NCCD.
1996 – Pay as you throw implemented after extensive alley cleanup. Citizen Planning Committee supports neighborhood conservation. HPNA raises funds to keep pool open. First haunted alley. State puts triangle up for bids. Plans shown for redevelopment of Hancock center. Guadalupe Owners and Merchants Association formed.
Spring 1998 – City manager Jesus Garza annouces that alleys will remain open and waste collection will continue in alleys.
Fall 1998 – City of Austin assigns Neighborhood Planning staff to help with Hyde Park NCCD.
1999 – Hyde Park Plan balloted and adopted by neighbors. Traffic calming circles installed in Hyde Park. Walgreens constructed at 45th and Guadalupe. Jeff Woodruff becomes President of Hyde Park Neighborhood Association
March 3 2000 – Hyde Park Baptist church files Site Plan for garage building.
April 13 2000 – City Council adopts Hyde Park Neighborhood Plan.
Dec 13 2001 – City Council adopts the NCCD.
Jan 2002 – Shipe Park arch is erected at 45th Street.
Dec 2010 – Austin City Council officially designates the southern part of Hyde Park as the Hyde Park Local Historic District.